The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Eleri Assistance!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Eleri Assistance! Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

I'm posting this for Eleri. (I'm not organizing it, just posting the link.)

http://www.fundable.org/groupactions/miriprisms

I know getting to go to this conference would be a huge help to her and Blade, so they can take the best possible care of their daughter. I've met her. She's a sweetie.

There's no pressure. We just want to put this out there in case any of you would like to help.

Thanks much, Great Tree!

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more important than new shoes. Smile

My best wishes for Miri.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copied from "Right Now":

Right now, credit card fraud! (Whee!)

Someone tried to use my credit card to purchase lots-o-stuff in Second Life. No clue who or how, as I don't even play Second Life. (I did download and install the client once, but never actually fired it up to play. Meh. And I certainly did NOT give Linden Labs my card number.)

This comes on the heels of having just yesterday pledged a bit of money to Eleri through fundable.org. I am hoping that the two events are not related, but given my recent card usage, I am concerned that fundable may have been hacked. If anyone else from this site has pledged money through fundable, as a precaution I suggest that you check your account(s) to verify no unusual activity has occurred. Just to be safe.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just sad... I'm sorry to hear that! Hackers are bad enough, but stealing money from such an awesome cause as this one is pathetic. Evil or Very Mad
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have any other reports of this? If there's a trend, I'd like to let people know.

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've left a message for the company, and canceled peoples contributions.

If peeps are still moved to do something, contact me privately.

Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to mention that I was very sorry to inform Eleri this morning of my suspicions involving fundable.org. However, at the moment, it remains the most likely suspect. I wanted to clear up why I suspect fundable's servers are involved in this attempted fraud.

According to my credit card company, Citibank, this morning someone attempted to bill my card _45 different times_ for purchases within Linden Labs' online game, Second Life.

Prior to making a pledge through fundable.org Thursday afternoon, the last time I gave my credit card information over the internet was in February, for prescription medication through my insurance company's recommended provider. Prior to that, December, for certain Christmas gifts. It is possible that one of the merchants I've done business with in the past has had their records hacked. It is also possible that my credit card number was lifted from a paper transaction, but due to the nature of the attempted fraud, I think that isn't as likely.

I have never created an account in Second Life and I have never given my credit card number to Linden Labs.

It was highly suspect that the fraud attempt occurred less than 24 hours after I made a pledge. Prior bills were an automatic billing from my long distance phone company 2 days ago, and Hertz Rent-A-Car over a week ago (as someone rear-ended my brand new Sentra less than 3 months after I bought it, and I had to get it repaired). The computer I used to make the pledge is a work laptop which has Symantec Antivirus (with up to date definitions), Microsoft Defender, and SpywareGuard all configured as background tasks. Today, I updated and ran Spybot Search & Destroy, then Lavasoft Ad-Aware, and these tools only found a few tracking cookies in my browser history; no sign of spyware.

Another curious thing is that my first attempt to pledge returned an error message indicating that my pledge did not go through. At the time, I thought that perhaps I had mistyped some of my information. So I filled out the form again, and on my second attempt the pledge was successful. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I'm curious if anyone else who made a pledge observed the same behavior. (It is also possible that I did mistype and that this detail of my experience is a red herring.)

My best guess is that fundable.org's servers have been compromised. This is not an accusation; this is just my suspicion based on the evidence I have available. I know that these are very serious words and I would not state them if I did not have a certain level of confidence.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleri, I hope you're not being discouraged by this...

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frustrated a bit, but not discouraged. Since the plane ticket and conference are all paid for, I'll be heading over there reguardless!

Everything else will work itself out.

K'Dahta
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
Copied from "Right Now":

Right now, credit card fraud! (Whee!)

I understand your frustration, Marten. Crying or Very sad

It is for this exact reason that I am still unsubscribed from Gametap and am stuck playing Uru as a visitor. (Not fundable.org in my case, but an online retailer that I had purchased something from). In my case, the person(s) made about 20 different purchases and spent over $1500 dollars.

It's really a shame that a wonderful charity had this happen to it. As Rils said, pathetic.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K'Dahta,

Citibank is the big 800 pound gorilla of credit cards... but they're a good gorilla if you have them on your side.

They called me to let me know about this problem... and the charges never went onto my card according to the account. They realized something was fishy and checked with me before authorizing.

They also called me when I moved up to Washington from California too; in that case, it was legit use, but it was comforting that they investigated why several thousand dollars from a moving company were suddenly on my card. When they see "suspicious" billings, their automated system makes a phone call to your registered information to ask you to verify you made the purchase.

Unlike Capital One, which should be avoided like the black plague, by my experience Citibank is a good company with which to have a card.

I hope that you are able to get your record cleared up, and don't let this discourage you!
K'Dahta
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Chase, and they did a good job. They called me almost immediately after all the money was spent (the purchases were made almost all at once). But unfortunately, this was a debit card, so I couldn't just call up the credit card company and tell them to cancel the purchases. The bank was able to get most of the money back within a week though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: