The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Can Cyan Survive?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coooooool, man.
greydragon
Cyantist
Cyantist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mystlander"]
Zander wrote:

Eric L, Admin for Tapestry Shard talked to Grey Dragon (Cyan employee), and he would neither confirm, nor deny the conversation he had with my source. Which leads me to believe that my source was telling me the truth, as she understood it, and not just spreading a rumor...

You have to understand where I am coming from. I have been a fan in the community for so long now....

Isn't it everyone's dream to make or be in the age that you imagined. Isn't it everyone in the community’s goal to write your own linking book and link there?

Now, I don’t remember ever saying that people have Cyan’s blessing to build areas and link there with your friends. However, personally wouldn’t that be awesome? The engine for Uru can do some amazing things graphically and I would be interested personally seeing what this community could come up with… That’s me personally.

Sometimes IM’s do get miss interpreted. When someone IM’S me saying wouldn’t it be cool for fans to make there own age. I would reply… “Yes, it would be cool.” Not knowing if Cyan would ever have a problem with it... or if it would ever be able to be done.

Congrads on the H’uru server and have fun. Thats what your here for right?

Ryan Warzecha
Content Analyst
Cyan Worlds Inc.
www.thegreydragon.com
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarity, GD. Bottom line: It's too early to determine anything yet. In the meantime...HAVE FUN!!
Zander
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to increase the clarity level still further, for those who didn't see page 1: the bit Grey Dragon quoted was Mystlander, not me.
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needless to say, we still have 22 empty slots in our Relto bookshelves... We have, yet, to access the great shaft and learn its secrets (and we know this Age exists, because we've seen the trailer)... We have, yet, to visit Noloben and meet with the last living D'nian... Etc., etc., etc. It's hard to imagine Cyan leaving all these ages (graphics, puzzles, music and story line) locked away in a vault collecting dust. Common sense leads me to believe that all the years of blood, sweat and tears expended by Cyan's talented employees creating URU will not go to waste.

URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Mystlander

How could we possibly be sick of you?

I do believe Cyan can and will survive. With them already working on Something Else, who knows were that could lead to.

From what I've read Uru Live or what it was to be was Rand's dream from the beginning, to bring the explorers down into the Cavern. A dream like that just doesn't fade away. It's nourished, looked after and treasured. What other adventure game puts so much detail and depth into it's games? From everything I've seen, read and heard there is a passion within Cyan to make truly amazing and breathtaking games. From Myst up to Uru and with Something Else I think the dream will live on.
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kinda spooky to think that someone at Cyan may have actually read my initial message and took it to heart. Either that, or we were thinking along the same lines. With the announcement of Myst V - End of Ages, the closing of the Myst saga.

Although I know that Cyan has to be competitive in today's market, I don't want to see them turn into a 3D shooter factory. I feel that there is still a market for innovative and immersive Adventure games. Hopefully "Something Else" will show us what can be done to stimulate the mind and stir the heart.

Until then, I'm excited to read all the news about Myst V. Sounds like we are in for a treat next fall Smile
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashtar wrote:
Although I know that Cyan has to be competitive in today's market, I don't want to see them turn into a 3D shooter factory.

I have a feeling that that won't happen. They must compete with that particular market, but I believe it is against their philosophy to incorporate direct violence (particularly caused by the player) into their games. My guess is that their adventures will become more entertaining (i.e. more interactivity, fun gameplay, other innovative steps) without resorting to the genre's identity with violence in general. They have to appeal to a mass audience but at the same time appeal more to gamers in general, or else their games will never sell.

To be honest, I think what Cyan desperately needs is a new hook -- something that will be a tremendous step forward that will catch the eyes of those looking for the next big thing. Sales figures show that people have pretty much moved on from Myst, as great a franchise as it is. Cyan's moving on to something new is just what they need to be able to keep their doors open and continue making great games.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm hoping is that they don't latch onto a mentality that in order to be competetive in the industry they have to hurry and crank out games.

Really though, I trust them. They've always shown favor toward quality over quantity. I would rather wait years for an adventure that will be amazing than wait months for one that left me wanting.

From the information and screenshots that are available now, I'm guessing Myst V is going to be amazing even if it's released fast.

/blather

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: