The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Episode One - "November 2003"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deg
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, to help avoid confusing new players, we should make everything look as close to "real" as possible. That means using the Alcugs server so we can see what Laxman actually looks like and see him in the Nexus.

Cheers,
- Deg -
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely advocating using Laxman's actual image, and a Nexus background! However, I'm suggesting we keep it to a still picture, because after all, the KI doesn't transmit video.

We don't need Alcugs to get a still shot of Laxman in the Nexus. Though I handily admit, we might get a better camera angle if we use Alcugs. There's only one good spot in the Nexus for lighting, and the camera angle at that spot isn't terribly great.

I've expanded the "net" to bring the preview to some new viewers. Today, I posted it over at Guild of Greeters. I'll also put it at MystCommunity when they're back onine.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked my pockets, and as it turns out I have two cents to throw in...

What are the technical capacities of your editing program to effectively "green screen" Laxman? Can we video him doing what you need him to do and then add in the Nexus background later?

I understand the concept of the the "picture box", but I think it'd be more cinematographic (is that a word?) to have actual footage of what's going on - fiddling with his Ki, pounding his fists in futile anger on the Nexus, whatever. Helps build drama and all that. I doubt anyone will complain if there's a few "impossible d'mala" shots in there...

~Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashtar and a'moaca' were able to pull of the Nexus trick without too much fuss. Let's just jump into Alcugs with the Laxman avatar and grab the shot. I think it would really add to the drama. This picture alone is pretty darn awesome because we never get to see the Nexus "open" like this where we can see the screen from a distance. I had no idea it was fully rendered like that.

Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that shot alone sold me on the idea.

Laughing

I need to get an Alcugs-ready copy of Uru installed on my box. Fortunately, it is now easy for me to install multiple copies of Uru side by side. (Yes, I'm gloating a little.)

Note to self for later: http://www.greattreeshard.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Last edited by Durin Mephit on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that poast over at UO. I think I'll give it a whirl.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was fun and interesting being in the Nexus with another person. When you get your Alcugs installations ready and set to give it a shot, let me know and I'll setup the server for the shooting. What it takes is to make the Nexus a public age instead of private in the server configuration.

And do you need a shot where it shows the Nexus display like we had in the picture above? The reason I'm asking is because that shot is only possible with a bit of Python code tweaking for the Nexus. If you would like it for the shot, then we might be able to work something out Smile

Ashtar
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I just hate it when I forget to login Razz

Ashtar
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashtar, we don't need a shot like the one above. We just need two people in the Nexus so one of them can act as the camera while the subject "pretends" to be Laxman. We'll give you the word. Thanks.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
Ashtar, we don't need a shot like the one above. We just need two people in the Nexus so one of them can act as the camera while the subject "pretends" to be Laxman. We'll give you the word. Thanks.

Uh... but, isn't that still asking for a shot similar to the one above?

*confused*
a'moaca'
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note when you are doing an Alcugs client install, if you wish to use the Alcugs patcher to get a UU KI with chat, you will need an *un-updated* UU install to run the patcher against. This means you'll need to install a fresh copy of UU, and NOT log in anywhere with it, before running the Alcugs patcher. Or if you have squirreled away an original UU python.pak you can temporarily copy it into your UU directory.

We'd love to update the patcher but Almlys has to do it and has not done so as yet.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
Professor Askew wrote:

Uh... but, isn't that still asking for a shot similar to the one above?

*confused*

Um. Yes. Yes, it is. Embarassed
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a'moaca' wrote:
Please note when you are doing an Alcugs client install, if you wish to use the Alcugs patcher to get a UU KI with chat, you will need an *un-updated* UU install to run the patcher against. This means you'll need to install a fresh copy of UU, and NOT log in anywhere with it, before running the Alcugs patcher. Or if you have squirreled away an original UU python.pak you can temporarily copy it into your UU directory.

We'd love to update the patcher but Almlys has to do it and has not done so as yet.

Thanks for the warning, a'moaca'.

Boy, this is practically rocket science.

(Previous text here has been removed)

I had to rebuild the install from scratch, but I believe I have it installed correctly now. Smile
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so everyone knows, I'm good to go on the TPOTS Alcugs shard. Smile
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:thumbsup:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: