The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Catching Up - Askew in D'ni and the Infinite City

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Catching Up - Askew in D'ni and the Infinite City Reply with quote

Hello. all. It's no secret that I haven't been around much lately. My life on the surface has gotten very busy lately, as many of you know, with a project of massive proportions. *lol*

I have had to make some big decisions and compromises along the way in order to meet my responsibilities and still have some shred of downtime for myself and with my wife. Here's the big picture:

IC: Things have been brewing on the surface that require my attention more and more...things that began years ago and are only now coming to light. These "things" have been forcing me to look at myself in the mirror and deciding what it is I want.

I came to D'ni as a scientist, yes, but I was not hired, my expertise was not requested. I was "called". I don't know by whom...perhaps Yeesha...maybe the Bahro. Whatever the case, I came and I journeyed and I learned. I continue to learn. But, for most of my three and a half years in the Cavern I have been involved in politics...and not very effectively, I'm afraid. All kinds of politics involving a wide array of issues...most of which turned out unimportant in the end. I don't regret my past participation by any means but it is time for me to move on in pursuit of my original goals.

I have formed a Neighborhood called Least Haven. (I still haven't figured out how to join it, though. Rolling Eyes ) Its purpose is simple: It is a safe place for the Bahro...it is an open door to Yeesha and to Phil Henderson, should he return. Watson is welcome as well. In fact, everyone is welcome...anyone interested in a more cerebral approach to their exploration. It is not a movement, it is a place....a place to focus on the Journeys, chat it up, help each other out on occasion.

So, it is with a heavy heart that I am tendering my resignation from The Great Tree. It's been a great ride. I am not, by any means, walking away from my fellow Hoodies but rather the politics that have grown stale for me. I no longer have any interest in the comings and goings of the DRC. And though I am happy to see that new groups are beginning to pop up of late, their concerns are not my concerns. Activity is good. I just prefer mine a little more...less causey..............for now. Twisted Evil

I will continue to visit the board and chime in every now and again...at least to say hello. And of course, there's always the Cavern!

OOC: Life on the surface has been hectic. Here is what I have been up to:

Infinite City Studio
Station 12
Station 12: First Revolution
Episode One Trailer

There's a lot to this project so it keeps me crazy busy. We have the film series (Episode One will be available in the next few weeks), the blog, and hopefully a web comic will start up this year. Even better...an ARG!! /fingerscrossed

Station 12 is Askew's past and future but he will always have two feet firmly planted in D'ni. See you all soon. BIG HUGS.
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutted.

Will post properly when I can figure out what to say.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh... mmp, fyhooooo.... wow.

Don't know what to say Prof! I'll write something nice and touching in a bit, I don't know what to say now though! We'll miss you, you've been an integral part of this for as long as I can remember. I fully understand your reasons, and though I'm incredibly sorry to see you go, I wish you nothing but the best with your new project! Don't be a stranger my friend...

Maybe we can keep you on as an honorary member, just in case you get in the mood for more rabble rousing some day... Wink
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats that they say about "You can take the Man from the Tree, but you can't take the Tree from the Man."?

It's like having the first Great Tree Alumni.

Sa'rUK
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmmm Crying or Very sad It's been nice having you around. I've always liked reading your stuff. I'm glad you're not totally leaving.
I do know the feeling though. I too have been absent a lot more than I used to be. Real life has been really bad for the last 2 or three years. But I still hang in there as I know you will also..

The Lowly Veteran Explorer???
MO:ULagain KI:
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to resign from TGT, you know. I'm not that much into the political aspect either... and you can still be a GT member without being constantly active.

I'd still like to see you down in the Cavern, and this Least Haven idea sounds pretty neat actually! I'll give you a shout when I see you.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::digs toe into dirt, sadly::

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof you're contribution to the TGT has been great and you yourself are a great guy. I wish you every luck with your current endevours (loving the Station 12 stuff and the least haven sounds like a neat idea

I acknowledge that you've made a decission but I must confess that I do not fully understand it.... being a member of The Great Tree isn't just about politics, we are a community within the community, a family of sorts. Additionally you can be a member of The Great Tree and still be a member of other groups and furthermore being a member of The Great Tree does not require the level commitment to the community that you have shown all the time so I really don't see why you needed to leave.

I really can't see why folks would want to jump ship when a "hey guys I'm starting a new group anyone want to join that as well" or "look I'm really swamped right now, can't be about as much as I like" would do just as well.

Feel a little betrayed to be honest. I'm not saying this to be emotionally manipulative I just think you should know that you have been an important part of our small community and your sudden decission to jump ship kinda hit me, as it does anytime someone Formally leaves.

All the same I wish you all the best again and thanks again for everything. Very Happy
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great member is leaving... I hadn't expected this.

I wish you all the best and I hope to see you in the cavern some time.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, it wasn't a sudden decision. It just came out of the blue as far as others are concerned. But, it has become clear to me, especially with the recent surge of activity, that I no longer have two cents to add to ongoing developments. I don't know if this is due to my recent pre-occupation with my work on the surface or me simply having difficulty dealing with Uru's growing pains. Probably some from column A and some from column B.

But, you needn't feel betrayed. I'm not going anywhere. I'm not walking away from the community within the community. This isn't personal. But, I no longer feel I meet the standards for Great Tree membership regardless of whether those standards are accepted as the norm. I can pop in here any old time and say hi and share my thoughts, member or not.

It's true I didn't have to resign. I did it for shock value. Shocking MYSELF to jumpstart my interest in the Cavern. The Great Tree will always mean more to me than people can imagine. (Rightfully so...'cause they're not insane. *lol*) But, when my interest in a forum group supercedes the reason for the group's existence, something's wrong. (Many would argue that point.) I'm just trying find my way...
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for helping me to understand Prof, I had no right to demand an explanation like that and yet you gave it to me anyway. Shows what a great guy you are.

I do wish you every luck on your new endevours and keep us posted on them Smile
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* nods his head in understanding, but still remains speechless...

* wipes a tear from his eye, outwardly blames it on a spec of Cavern Dust... but he knows it's a lie.

* lies again, blaming the Dust as the reason why he's a tad choked up...

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystlander hands kami a Riven Gun and asks to be put outta her misery...

URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: