The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Bahro, Sharper, and Hanging Rocks...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gadren
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Bahro, Sharper, and Hanging Rocks... Reply with quote

Quote:

6.6.02 I have the stone one more time. Simpsons says he can't take it again. So I'm trying one more thing. Gut feeling about these creatures.

6.20.02 Stone hasn't gone anywhere this time. I think they're afraid of the hanging rocks. Interesting.

From these entries in Sharper's journal, it seems like that one Bahro Stone in Teledahn that goes to Gahreesen was being moved around by the Bahro, but Sharper hung up those rocks we break with the gun to keep the Bahro away.

Why are the Bahro so afraid of hanging rocks? And was it a good thing or a bad thing that Sharper tried to keep the Bahro away? I hate to sound really critical -- because when I'm as in the dark as I am now, I don't want to judge without getting all the facts -- but it kind of reminds me of Esher in Myst V using the symbol of the snake to keep the Bahro away from his lab on Noloben.

It kind of makes me wonder why our Journey in Teledahn required us to break those rocks to get all the cloths. I wonder if, by completing the Journey, we were helping the Bahro in some way there...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have to break ALL the rocks...

I read that again recently and it made me think as well. If the snake thing was correct, the Bahro seem to have a really strong negative reaction to anything involved with their past suffering...
Gadren
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, why do we always hear them in the Cavern? With all the stalactites, wouldn't they be afraid of all those hanging rocks?

Or were the hanging rocks originally there back in the days of Manesmo and his slave trade? Would they be a symbol of the torture and oppression in that nearby room (with all the shackles)? If so, that would indicate that maybe the Bahro got their fear of hanging rocks from that.

Or, I wonder, were the rocks kept there to prevent the Bahro from leaving the nearby exit? In that case, the cause for their fear would be elsewhere.

It just seems odd that the Bahro, being so powerful with their linking abilities, would be afraid of such small things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never sure if this entry meant the bahro stone to Gahreesen located in Teledahn, or the bahro stone to the Teledahn mushroom stump located in Sharper's office.

Dunno. Very curious.
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's up with that mushroom stump anyway?

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
What's up with that mushroom stump anyway?

That never did make no kind of sense to me. Although it has occured to me that perhaps it's what we can see from there that matters. I've never been able to determine what that is.
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the mushroom stump has always been a mystery to me as well. And same as the Professor, I have spent plenty of time just looking around to try and discover the significance of that link-in location. Perhaps there are no clues to be found presently, but possibly someday in the future.

Ashtar
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must everything be significant? Or might there be things there just to purposely make us go mad, trying to understand why they might be significant?

Perhaps it is like a closed off-ramp on the highway, that goes to a place no-one ever goes anymore... or the ramp was removed because the highway interchange was changed.

I don't know, I'm just guessing and rambling.
JohnLynch
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
Or might there be things there just to purposely make us go mad, trying to understand why they might be significant?
Why would Yeesha do that? Sad
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
Perhaps it is like a closed off-ramp on the highway, that goes to a place no-one ever goes anymore... or the ramp was removed because the highway interchange was changed.

I don't know, I'm just guessing and rambling.

(Cue Music) "You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into... the Twilight Zone."

Smile
Suzanne
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Sometimes a mushroom stump is just a mushroom stump...

Or a great place to have a PARTY!!! Wink

KI 256327
Friend of the Bahro - Guardian of the Flame
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddly enough, the the mushroom stump is directly on the line between the large shroom with the broken machinery and post with a bucket-gear system on it. If there was a bucket going from the large shroom and down around the corner to the left, the shroom top would be the perfect place to hitch a lift on it...
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnLynch wrote:
Marten wrote:
Or might there be things there just to purposely make us go mad, trying to understand why they might be significant?
Why would Yeesha do that? Sad

To laugh at us, of course...

I'm sure Atrus did the same thing when he constructed J'Nanin. Inside the 'tusk' for Edanna, the pedestal with the 'slide the stones round the circles' puzzle looked as if it were hinged in the back and had a handle up front. None of the others looked like that. I was SURE it meant something.

I spent months trying to figure out how to open it. Never could... found out that it was a huge red herring.

So yeah... sometimes folks WILL do stuff solely to drive us mad.

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: